Friday, December 4, 2020

Door #4

I can see the caps in the box and I was apprehensive pulling this bottle out.  Schlenkerla Urbock, the "cousin" to their famous rauchbier.  I had a Schlenkerla Helles at a recent tasting and even that carries the smokey flavor, having picked it up just being in the same factory.  At least it's a definite winter beer.  There's nothing like a smokey treat to make you think of bonfires, roasting things, and tingly hands.  At a fairly strong 6.5%, Urbock will probably keep you feeling pretty comfortable, and make you think you sing those Christmas carols better, too.

It's smokey from the very start, not like the helles, and there's some kind of fuel undertone in there too.  It's heavy like a bock, slightly sweet, also with the typical smokey bacon of the rauchbiers.  There's an odd heavy fruitiness, something plumb-like, which is more in line with bocks.  There's also that dark beer licorice; I'm not sure if it's more distracting than the smoke or not.  In appearance it's a burned, toasted sort of bock, not the warm gold of, say, Spaten.  It might be smoother drinking than the regular märzen rauchbier, but it's still not what I would look for in just a beer.  It's a meal beer for me, if only I had had it for Thanksgiving.  Or saved it for Christmas chilli.  Smokey jalapeños?  Now that's something to celebrate!

Could I pack a German beer cultural history into a couple of hours?  I might find out someday.  I'll probably find out I can't, but I should try to work out a juicy summary anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment