Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Door #1

Let's try another end-of-year beer extravaganza.  There are three craft beer advent calendars available in Madrid this year, I think the first time I've seen any.  But, I'm too lazy to go out and get them.  Maybe next year.  I have beer at home anyway, so I'll make my own countdown of beer.

I thought I had a nice stout in the fridge, but it turns out I just have a red IPA.  Not that it's a big disappointment or anything, it's a good color to start the month with and it has a pleasing label to my tastes.  Jack the Ripa...I'm not sure if he's just sniffing an aromatic hop blossom or if he's ready to scarf it down like a freshly plucked human heart.  Maybe I should have done this for Halloween.  I would not call the color red, like other red ales get to at least.  It is a sort of rusty gold.  The head is quite thick, creamy looking, and resistant.  The aroma is somewhat layered, with an initial bright and heady fruitiness and a more musky hops note appearing with a slight delay.  The taste is tangy, not nearly as bitter as many IPAs, but not as sweet as a number of red ales.  It's a snappy, almost cidery taste, so another point for having it about a month ago.  There is a pithy bitter aftertaste, although it takes a while to develop.  This is hardly a terror of a beer at all, despite the ominous figure on the bottle.  

I have a little more than a month to plan another culture course.  I don't know if this one will pan out, but it doesn't look like anybody is focusing on this particularly, just little bits and pieces come out during tastings.  Better buckle down at some point.  Even if you're on the right track you'll get run over if you just sit there, said somebody with a larger audience than me once.

No comments:

Post a Comment