Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Door #2

Time for the second in line, and now I do have my beloved stout with me.  Sanfrutos' Oro Negro Russian Imperial Stout, a treasure for sure.  It's a rich, dark chocolate brown, not quite cartoon oil black, but not a lot of head.  The sweetish stout aroma pops out immediately with a crack of the cap, but in the glass there's a little extra kick to it.  It's almost like a barrel-aged stout, with a rummy sweetness and a whiskey woodenness.  The flavor isn't especially strong, not a heavy bitter, but there is a rolly bittersweet.  There's a little peppery something in the aftertaste, it's an interesting blend of layers.  The sweetness comes first, rolled under by the typical beer bitter, and then something herbal, maybe even medicinal.  Despite the slightly strongish alcoholic aroma, the beer itself is thin in a pleasant, drinkable way.  Hardly any stickiness left behind, either.

I didn't read the label until after drinking, and it turns out coffee beans soaked in whiskey are in fact part of the recipe.  HaHAH, how refined my tastebuds are becoming.  Actually, I shouldn't gloat, since those aren't especially hard flavors to discern.  If I'm going to gloat about anything, it should be my useful cultural presentation.  Watch this space, I guess.

Ugh, someday I'll need a real backdrop


No comments:

Post a Comment