Thursday, December 10, 2020

Door #10

Now, this one I know I've seen before.  Not so often in the bottle, although I think it's lurking around there too, but on tap every other Sunday.  I don't always get Founders Dirty Bastard, since it has a pretty heavy sweetness which is a little much for me most days, but sometimes it's nice.  It's especially nice on colder days, but still the porter is my go-to when I'm down there.

As always, it's heavy and sweet from the start, with good slather of licorice.  There's a little twitch of sour candy in there, and a slightly smokey finish.  The wood from the aging comes through after a while, adding another dimension to the flavor.  It has kind of an odd mouthfeel, being on the thicker side, but it's not quite syrupy.  It also isn't a super smooth kind of beer; maybe that should be obvious from the name.  You don't have to fight it down exactly, but it's certainly a proud and unswerving drink.

Although cloudy and chilly, it's not enough to be snowy.  No Christmas weather here, but where I come from we only have 30% chances of a white Christmas on any given year.  Stick with beer foam, that's a lot more reliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment