Monday, December 14, 2020

Door #14

Oh dear, a lambic.  Beer from the north, a reminder of the cold season...if only it was a beer I liked better.  They've been picking up in popularity for a few years now, certainly benefiting from their history, a retro, hipster choice, and one that a lot of people are happy to make anyway, considering the proliferation of sours in the craft world today.  Oude Geuze Boon has the name to back up the style, if that's what you're into.  Well, maybe my tastebuds will die off someday.

It has that lambic champagne color, and something of a champagne aroma.  I might have let it sit in the refrigerator a little too long, as it's more active and bubbly than it probably should be.  The taste is surprisingly bland, with just a hint of sour and wood.  Even though it feels like it should be a mouthful of water, it's not very easy to drink.  It grabs at the throat a little, kicking on the way down.  Although the sourness makes it feel like a summer drink, something to cool you off and perk up, that roughness gives it a more wintery coat.  I don't know if I would like a mild cheese or something to go with it, something fatty does seem like it would pair well.

Building possibilities for the new year is exciting, but not always easy to keep up optimism about.  Good thing there's a beer more to my tastes waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment