Thursday, December 3, 2020

Door #3

What do I have lying around for door number three?  Oh look, a German pilsner.  It's not one of those export pilsners in a half-liter can, so maybe we can be optimistic.  I mean, Weihenstephaner, oldest brewery in the world.  They must be doing something right?  I'm feeling a little skeptical about traditional things right now, though.

Very light in color, straw yellow, bright white head, although not very long lasting.  It has that German beer smell, a good whiff of grain and grass, although it is a little lighter than a lot of lagers and other helleses.  It's pretty thin in the mouth, but with a good flavor.  Slightly sweet, not grassy in taste.  Not very much bitter for a pilsner.  It feels a lot more like a summer beer than an Advent one, with just enough flavor to be good on its own, especially in company, but would so not lose anything with a nice salty snack.

I would have thought that I would have picked Wiehenstephaner pils at some point in the past; I have had several other of the beers.  Somehow the pilsner has never made it to my glass.  That's probably a mark of my disinterest in the "typical" than a true lack of opportunity.  The beer stores are pretty well supplied with German beers of this type, even now.  And the influence of German beers has been felt for more than a century in Spain and its drinking habits, at least in the products.  More on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment