Sunday, December 30, 2018

lighter than sleep

On the sixth day of Beermas I picked out for me
A laid out insomniac
One secret promise
A possibly chatty barnyard animal
A random French reference
A bird that's not a pigeon
And a flamingo with mangoes and beets

Like I said, there's a lot of birds in this song, and not so many birdy beers.  This might be a bit of a stretch, but when you can't sleep all you can do it lay yourself down and hope.  So, there is a connection to the action in this case.  Hah!  Give me something better, I defy you!  Anyway, Insomnia NEIPA is a collaboration beer, between (UK) Salopian brewery and (NZ) Yeastie Boys, so some of these things can have quite a long reach.
It's a little darker in color than some NEIPAs, but it has that happy, mandariny smell.  Also quite cloudy, might be all the yeast swimming around.  Nice head at first, but it does wilt in a few minutes, leaving a small covering of foam.  Sharp, stabby-sweet mandarin flavor, very citrusy but juicy, as I've come to associate NEIPAs with.  Possibly a little too light in flavor and feel for nearly the end of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, although at 7.2% it's certainly warming.
Sorry it's fuzzy, but I was shocked to see live yeast labeled suitable for vegans.  Won't someone think of the unicellular critters!

Supplier: La Birratorium
Price: €6.10

No comments:

Post a Comment