Sunday, August 29, 2021

sunrise coming

There's always the danger of not having many places to go to stock up on beer in August, although I think this year there aren't quite as many vacations as other years.  Sure, some places have taken a break, well-deserved no doubt, but for the most part there has been a variety that other cities can envy.  La Mundial, however, did take quite a breather this month.  It's only now at the end that they're back, and I wanted to visit them again after their performance for Beermas.  I asked about a strong IPA, hoppy and bitter, and they were quick to point out a number of possibilities, the usual suspects all, Basqueland's Imparable in particular, but it goes without saying that I'm looking for new things.  Caleya has made its way to my glass before, but Goma 2 is something different.  Will it be the liquid refreshment that perks me up from August-end doldrums?

It's on the darker side of gold, but there's no cloudiness at all to the beer.  The head is thick and pretty resistant.  A number of aromas combine, giving it a complex but very IPA-y smell, with hops being prominent, but pine and toast are mixed in too.  The taste is hops-heavy, but it does have a little touch of brightness.  There isn't a whole lot of citrus poking out, but I wouldn't call it a bitter beer.  Interestingly, it's barely bitter at all to my taste.  It's a bit smoother than Naparbier's Aker, but it has heft and body, while sliding down the throat in a way that reminds me of melted jello.  As I said, smooth.

Supplier: La Mundial

Price: €3.30

No comments:

Post a Comment