Saturday, August 7, 2021

suggestive

Although it's the last of the recent Be Hoppy selection to be drunk, it was the first one I noticed in the store.  They had it sitting proudly in the refrigerator with the colorful head map drawing the eye and the Slavic-like name piquing interest.  It almost looks like it should be a word in Czech or some related language, but as far as I can tell Rmuntovárí isn't a word at all.  Rmut is mash or pulp, and the suffix could be related to cooking, but what do I know?  Not a hell of a lot, I can tell you.  I can say it's not a surprising thing from Naparbier, one of the most dedicated and innovative craft breweries of Spain.  At first I thought they had done a collaboration, as they often do, but this looks like all Naparbier.  They have used a new yeast to create this classic Bohemian style pilsner, which they expect to give you a traditional experience, perhaps somewhat enhanced in flavor.

It pours out like a foamy champagne, with a sort of tan transparency that leads me to expect a sharp and somewhat dry flavor.  It's very lightly scented, just the barest hint of grain.  The first sip has a strong yet clean bitterness that drags a grapefruit kind of citrus behind it, a surprise, but one that cleanses the palate.  Despite the strong flavor, it's a very light beer.  While in the mouth it packs a punch, but once swallowed it kind of disappears, with only the mildest bitterness left on the tongue.  I guess I have to say it's one of the nicest pilsners made in Spain that I've had.  Many others have had an overabundance of sweetness but this one certainly doesn't suffer from that.  Yes, there is some citrus fruitiness, but it's a round and filling bitter citrus, not a flighty tropical kind like you'd get from a lot of modern ales.  I'm glad it's not as champagney as I was expecting, since I'm definitely more about the grain drinks than the wine ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment