Monday, August 2, 2021

still choosing the lighter side

August in Madrid is not as quiet as it used to be, but sometimes timetables are not what you expect.  And when I say they aren't what you expect, I mean they aren't what Google tells you they are.  Gotta be flexible.  I was trying to hunt down some refreshment for the evening and everywhere I went was closed, although some places did promise to be open later tonight.  Fat lot of good that does me now!  Well, American convenience to the rescue.  Taste of America was open and while their beer selection isn't absolutely amazing, they have some interesting things to offer.  Moosehead's Grapefruit Radler, for example.  In spite if it cooling off some these last couple of days, I still feel like I want something light and fruity.  I'm a little unsure of what the beer itself will look like; the bottle is green and I have the impression that it is a pretty pale color in there, not the opaque juicy stuff that NEIPAs often are.  I mean, a NEIPA has nothing to do with a radler, but the experience of citrus can fool you if you're not paying attention. 

There is absolutely no tinge of pink grapefruit in the beer as poured out, really it's a lot like the helles from yesterday.  Seems to have many more bubbles, though.  The sweetish grapefruit aroma is definitely there, more soda-like than true beer.  I guess it's a matter of opinion whether a radler is true beer or not.  The first hit is also a lot like a soda, grapefruit but sugared grapefruit.  There is only the barest hint of bitterness sort of at the bottom of the flavor, trailing after the swallow.  It's not syrupy, which I'm thankful for today, and while sweeter than I was hoping for it does have a refreshing lightness.  No complaints from me.



No comments:

Post a Comment