Wednesday, August 4, 2021

ok then

How many chances does a company get?  As many as is convenient, I suppose.  It was convenient to pick up a can of Cruzcampo at the supermarket, and I have been informed that their "craft" products are much more enjoyable than the oddly flavored brew I remember from a somewhat sketchily handled bar.  While most recommendations were for their special gran reserva beer, I opted for the Andalusian IPA.  Like most breweries at the turn of the 20th century, they were making a number of styles, especially German inspired, but to my knowledge the IPA never quite took over from the pilsner, or had that much of an impact at all.  English bitter style, sure, but not IPA.  Let's see if I'll regret this or not.

I get a woody, meadowy scent on opening the can, not unpleasant, although not what I usually experience with IPAs.  It has good color and head, very much what you would expect, although maybe a tiny bit more translucent than most craft IPAs.  There's an interesting cascade of flavors in the first sip: first mild standard beeriness, then a pop of bitter, and finally some mellow sweetness with a hint of fruit, something like peach.  As it rests, a wheaty aroma develops, although I'm pleased to report that it stays more in the nose than on the tongue.  There's also little to no aftertaste, so as a summer evening beer, it's perfectly nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment