Friday, August 27, 2021

a seedy place indeed

I decided to reward myself with a stout after so many days of lighter, brighter beers.  It's barrel aged, too, so it ought to have a nice punch to put me out on a Friday night.  Plus, I had to chuckle a little bit at the name: I mean, Moose Islay?  Hilarious.  It's Nómada, so not officially craft any more, but it's good enough for a try.

Nice, dark brown color, very little foam and head.  It has an oddly gassy aroma, with a little bit of smoke thrown in.  The flavor is a heavy combination of earth, nearly burned toast and rubber, weirdly.  The plum-like background that some stouts have is also present, but it also has a toasted quality, like a plum jelly overcooked and with the sugars kind of burned out.  A lot of barrel aged stouts have a heavy layer of sweetness to them, with a lot of weight from that barrel and whatever alcohol was in there before, but this stout does not seem to have that.  It may be that it is not actually aged in a whisky or rum barrel like others, but just left in its own barrel for a longer than normal time.  There's definitely some amount of wood in there as well.  I'm sad to say that I am not really enjoying this beer, however.  I think my expectations were just too high, or not in the right place.  Oh well, there are still some days left, and opportunities for better advice.

Supplier: La Cervecista

Price: €5.70

No comments:

Post a Comment