Thursday, June 9, 2016

northerly wishful thinking

Ah, finally a dark beer for me!  One that looked more interesting than all the ales around it, I mean.  While the label is reminiscent of a sleek Danish or Norwegian brew, the beer is actually a collaboration between two Spanish companies, Ebora and Madriz Hop Republic.  Suomi Baltic Porter sounds like something that should be chilled and refreshing even on such hot evenings, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the "Baltic" part only refers to the Polish vodka they soak the added vanilla in.  Is Poland even considered Baltic?  Is it a wannabe like Estonia is with the Nordics?  I don't think this is the time to get into national identities, not before drinking that beer.
It's beautiful and chocolatey looking, with a fairly resistant tan head.  I guess I could be imagining it, but it does smell a little more alcoholy than usual with porters.  It tends toward stout flavor for me, being smokey and earthy, and very, very smooth.  There are just a few little dings of vanilla kind of high in the mouth, but the taste is very subtle and I probably wouldn't have ever noticed it if the label hadn't told me it was there.  It's a very pleasant sipping beer, even tempered and calm.  And finally I'm getting a little breeze through the window, so it's a good night after all.

Supplier: La Zurbanita
Price: €3.40

No comments:

Post a Comment