Sunday, June 5, 2016

color of a setting sun

Hey!  What's that there?  Why it's a coaster from a craft brewery!  It's still Beer Week, and since I have a commitment to go out anyway, I'll just kill two birds with one stone here.  At Toast Tavern, you can get eight different draft beers from rotating taps, and this week they have Espiga/Green Street Orange IPA.  It's uncomfortably warm already for me, so a nice IPA will really lift my spirits.  A stout could have done so too, but the stout on tap was a bourbon mix, and that's just too much for me tonight.
There's the Orange IPA, showing how accurate the name is.  It gives off some bitterness in the smell, but it's more of a prelude to the ale taste itself.  It's refreshing and invigorating, but balanced with a citrusy sweetness that flits lightly over the tongue.  I have to admit there's a little bit of stickiness too, and a bitter ale taste that hangs around after drinking.  It's not an aftertaste really, since it's the lingering of the same taste the beer itself has.  Still, I've had cleaner drinks in terms of leaving the mouth with the swallow.  This by no means is to say that Orange is a bad beer!  It was quite tasty and pleasing, but I do try to be complete in my descriptions.
Toast Tavern gives some more interesting tapas than a lot of bars, although you're likely to get a bowl of chips at some point.  I got nachos today.  They were delicious, but the cheese solidified so fast we had to dig our hands in and break them apart.  Fortunately, nobody is germ-phobic at the table.

Tune in tomorrow!  Beer Week rolls on!

Supplier: Toast Tavern
Price: €5.50/pint


No comments:

Post a Comment