Tuesday, December 21, 2021

the truths we tell

I'm starting to think there's a distinct lack of appreciation for black beers, even in winter.  It's not that I lack appreciation for hoppy ales, but damn if I don't want them as a little highlight after some wallowing in the darkness.  That's how I spend my weekend evenings out, anyway.  At least La Quince has reliably tasty and presentable ales, be they IPA or APA, like Hop Fiction.  It seems to me I might have run across it before, if not as a bottle at home than a pint at Prost Chamberí. 

There's plenty of modern ale aroma poofing out after the cap comes off.  It's a fairly light colored beer, not a whole lot of head.  It's clean and transparent, with a show of tiny bubbles zipping up the glass.  The hops are potent and headstrong, although there's just a hint of grain lurking underneath.  There's bitter, musk and sneaking hints of plant life.  This is a real heavy pale ale, with a fullness of flavor that matches winter winds and summer sun.  While the flavors seem to blend into each other as you get further down in the glass, there's power and joy in it that you can't ignore.  I might be hoping for a stout tomorrow, but I'm pretty happy with my APA today.



No comments:

Post a Comment