Thursday, December 30, 2021

owls a-hooting!

On the sixth day of Beermas I went and bought for me

Six owls nesting

Five malts of gold

Four avian hallucinations

Three French magicians

Two love ya dearlies

And the simplest answer there could be 

There's a little bit of a stretch here, since there are no geese or eggs evident in this beer.  It is a bird, though, and it has a nest.  It might be an owl, but you can't deny it's a bird.  Interestingly enough, it's a Japanese owl, Hitachino Nest, and this is a Japanese Classic Ale. 

A somewhat dark colored ale, ruddy gold I'd say, and not cloudy at all.  There's an abundant amount of head, white and bubbly.  It has an odd aroma, a little salty even.  I'm reminded of both champagne and gose.  The flavor is oddly seasonal; I was not expecting such a cinnamon like poof.  It's a little spicy and not sweet exactly, but makes overtures to dessert.  It's a pretty normal thickness for a beer, although the taste makes me feel like it should be heavier.  It really goes down quite easily.  Also, very clean.  I don't get any weird aftertaste or stickiness at all.  There might be a touch of apple hiding in there, another wink to the holidays and apple pies.   



No comments:

Post a Comment