Saturday, December 3, 2022

with interest

I eagerly await more dark beers as the month goes on, but something shiny is by no means unwelcome.  I pulled out a sunny little can of imperial sour, another Guineu, this time with Màger.  Fested Mind has some extra special ingredients - orange and white chocolate - which you might link to the season.  I don't mind a little orange with my beer, but orange and chocolate leaves me somewhat cold.  Maybe that goes with the season too.

There's that gassy smell that many sours seem to have, but with the essence of grape and a little plum mixed in.  The color is juicy, the beer isn't especially clear, and the head fizzles away in seconds.  The flavor has a lot of sour candy in it, alternating between Jolly Rancher and mild lemon candy.  It feels a little thicker than a lot of sours, leaving a little stickiness in its wake.  Interestingly, I don't really identify orange or chocolate in the flavors, although if I make an effort I can just pick out a touch of citrus.  It's bright and perky, so not quite what I naturally turn to at this time of year (who am I kidding, any time of year), but it's like a dessert or special treat to add some light to the dark days of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment