Thursday, December 1, 2022

how could you!

I got my beer calendar, weeks before I even expected it, and excitedly ripped into day 1...only to see sin alcohol on the can.  Alcohol free?  In a craft beer calendar?  Is the universe trying to tell me something?  At least it is an interesting craft style, a hazy IPA, and from a reliable brewery.  Actually, Boira is a collaboration between trusty Guineu and Althaia.  If they made the effort to bring the beer out, I guess I can make an effort to drink it.

Very cloudy and a very pale color greet me, not a bad aroma at all with a little bread and a little ginger (but not quite gingerbread), and a wrapping of grapefruit.  The head forms with relatively large bubbles and vanishes within seconds.  Now it really looks like a fizzy lemonade, one you would expect to be "organic".  Flavorwise, it's the grapefruit that comes out on top.  The bitterness is heavy although the beer itself feels almost effervescent, and it doesn't have the sharpness that some hazies or NEIPAs end up with.  It's not a bad imitation of its alcoholic counterpart, maintaining a feeling of bitter beer juice and citrus snap that is the attraction of the style.  It has less juice than many "real" NEIPAs, but there are quite a few that it lines right up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment