Thursday, August 17, 2017

secret recipe

Something a little lighter today, after stouts and heavy ales.  A cider normally makes me think of fall, but a red fruit cider has summer written all over it.  Bulmers has visited my table before, but Sabores del Mundo has a cider selection like I haven't seen elsewhere.  Not only regular apple and pear, but all kinds of fruit blends.  I do like those red fruits, cherry, strawberry, etc., crushed red berries fit the bill.  I'm a little irked that they don't specify what berries anywhere, but I guess they're the regular ones.

It's rosy ruby red and fizzy, like cherry and raspberry lambics, but the smell is much sweeter.  There's just a touch of lime in the scent, adding a slightly sour balance.  Like many ciders, it starts out sweet and moves down into a pleasant sour flavor, although there's a sort of bubble gum taste in there too.  Fortunately, it stays more sharp than gummy, a refreshing bite in the heat of the August afternoon.  It may be the hot pink color, but it seems to me that a kind of cinnamon scent develops with a little time and warming.  It's not quite Kopparberg's Strawberry and Lime, but it's light and summery.  A fine drink for the shade and to keep a heated conversation cool.

Supplier: Sabores del Mundo
Price: €4.70

No comments:

Post a Comment