Tuesday, August 8, 2017

berry nice

Ah, there's no escaping from my stouts.  As I was browsing the shelves, I thought to myself, I should get some pale ale or blonde beer, to balance all the dark and heavy ones.  But then I saw Nómada's Imperial Raspberry Stout and said, "Forget that!"  Nómada has a good record of fruit tinged beers, and stouts can be chocolately, which goes well with raspberries...enough with the justifications!


There's definitely a fruity smell, but you kind of have to stick your nose in to get it.  The beer is richly colored and lightly headed, a robust stout on sight.  The label just says "raspberry aroma", so I'm not sure what to expect from the taste, and it turns out to be surprising.  First there's a mild sweetness, not as heavy as many raspberry flavored things are, but then the bitter rises up and takes over completely.  Not only is it stout bitter, it's earthy and smoky, veering into rauchbier territory.  Finally, things mellow out and finish of dark chocolate rounds the drink out.  It goes back to bitter, but with just a touch of sweetness, and the very tail kicks back a little berry sweet/sour. 

Supplier: La Buena Pinta
Price: €4.50

No comments:

Post a Comment