Sunday, August 21, 2016

save me

Although regular Paulaner isn't one of my favorites, I do like a nice Salvator.  Doppelbock, strong and dark, a reminder of earlier days, when we had the illusion that bars didn't mind big groups of talkers and needy assholes weren't so prevalent.  Anyway, it's a tasty beer, whether there are nostalgic memories or not, I'd say.
Ugh, bright, sunshiny day...
It's lighter than I remember, dark orangey tan, and a vaguely beige head.  I usually just drank from the bottle, as I recall.  I had the idea that it was easier on the bartenders, and for some reason I felt like that mattered.  There's a sweet bocky smell, just like the other common bock in these parts.  The taste is mostly sweet, a little honey-like, any bitter is a mild aftertaste, more smoky than bitter for some reason.  Salvator easy to swallow, disarming in its sweetness, but leaves a little fire in the belly when it goes down, a reminder of the alcohol content I suppose.  Interestingly, there's a cidery apple flavor that starts to come out after a while.  Who knows, maybe my tongue is inventing new flavors since it's such a large bottle.  Maybe not as refreshing as an ale on grindingly hot summer days, but you can't say Salvator isn't a nice pick-me-up.

Supplier: Mantequería Alemana
Price: €1.55

No comments:

Post a Comment