Monday, August 15, 2016

berry good

I'm a beer person, I make no secret of it.  Specifically, dark beers, although IPA has grown on me in the past couple of years.  I am not now nor have I ever been a wine person.  In the past, I thought of them as inveterate snobs, with all their sniffing and testing, but now that I have access to a range of beers I can appreciate that sort of experience.  With beer, though, not with wine.  Still, wine is a popular beverage and people in my own family no less have something of a taste for it.  So, when last I was in the Midwest, we stopped in a small Wisconsin town now known for its artsy scene, and its wineries: Cedarburg.  They have a wine bar set up in a small downtown shopping center, with a large selection of different local wines.  I actually liked one: Cedar Creek Winery Cranberry Blush.  I'm also a cranberry person.  I took some little bottles back with me, planning to share, and those shared with were suitably impressed.  And they are the wine people!
Let's see if it lives up to my memory.  Looking at it now, it's more of an orangey rosy color than pink, but the scent if definitely winey.  There's a little bit of a floral tone to it too.  It's tart, sweet-and-sour, just a little bit fruity.  Cranberry cocktail definitely comes to mind.  It has a very smooth finish, which I appreciate, not being much of a wine person.  Some wines leave my throat all closed up when they go down, but the cranberries keep the taste sharp without leaving an abrasive trail.  I don't have any cheese at hand to test it out with, but it does feel like a good drink to cleanse the palate, pleasantly, when trying some creamy dairy products.
Douchebags in the comments?  Testing, testing...

No comments:

Post a Comment