Tuesday, August 30, 2016

last minute

Oh, August is almost gone...I don't think I'll miss it.  It's too hot, for one thing.  For another, I don't have a schedule and I get unproductive.  And yet another, the beer stores are closed!  One was supposed to be open this week, but decided to open only on the first.  Bah!  My nearby market store was open, although rather bare of stock.  I lingered over what there was, finally choosing a Monkey beer, Mamba Negra American Stout.  Yes, I can't get away from those black beers, even in the summer.
A nice stout, good opaque color, typical head of beige foam.  It's a little sweeter in smell than I'd expect without being a chocolate stout, like the last one.  Not as bitter as most stouts, and in fact there's a disconcerting wateriness.  It makes for a light beer for drinking, but not much flavor to speak of.  It would be a nice accompaniment to a debate or interesting movie, but to be the star attraction, it doesn't quite fit the bill.  I'm reminded of Guinness, actually, a beer which never once did not disappoint.  At least the taste isn't actually bad.  I don't know why it's "American", though.  Maybe there's undeclared gunpowder in there.  If it's a jab at American beers, they should have gone with a lager, since craft stouts from the States are generally excellent.
Supplier: Prost Chamberí
Price: €3.10

No comments:

Post a Comment