Sunday, August 7, 2016

dice exercise #2

bike/burger/ice cream cone/ladder/fish/dinner setting

This was so not the time for a tire to go flat on my bike.  I came outside, ready to toodle down to the gourmet burger joint they just opened up downtown, and got my crush to agree to meet me there.  I was running a little bit late, but calculated I wouldn't arrive too disheveled, and when I went to get my bike, the front tire was flat as a stingray.

"Ah, tits!" I blustered, and took off running to the bus stop.  Fortunately, the bus pulled up just as I got there, and I arrived at the restaurant with plenty of time.

I had nothing to do, stupidly having forgotten to charge up my phone and I didn't want to use too much battery playing games.  I decided to splurge a little bit, have a pre-meal dessert.  It was a specialty burger place, but I had heard the ice cream was pretty good too.  A nice mint chocolate-chip cone appeared at my request, and I waited at the bar area for my crush to appear.

I felt a little old as I did some people watching in the restaurant.  Everyone else seemed to be college age at most, and I had left college behind more than a decade ago.  And there I was, sitting alone, with an ice-cream cone of all things.  I got more and more self-conscious, thinking people were looking at me and seeing a sad weirdo staring at everyone longingly.  I stuffed the remains of the cone in my mouth and went out into the street.  I certainly had time to take a quick walk around the block, so I started off, still thinking about how creepy I must have looked in there.

"Look out!" I heard from above, and immediately I was surprised to see a large fish splat down on the sidewalk in front of me.  I had inadvertently walked under a ladder, on which food deliveries were being made.  I backed up and gingerly moved around the ladder, looking up at the delivery guy above me.  "Sorry," he called down sheepishly, handing a wooden crate, full of more fish I suppose, through a window.

I was confused about why this kind of delivery would be done on an upper story, and not to a basement or at least behind the building.  Still, I had avoided disaster by fish.  I felt like it was a good sign for the afternoon.  Then, my phone buzzed.

A WhatsApp!  From my crush!  Cancelling?  Oh...

Oh well.

I made up my mind to be happy I'd had ice cream, and I would distract myself with some window shopping before going home to eat even more ice cream and find a nice long sit-com to binge on Netflix.  I was walking by a rather swanky Italian place and happened to glance in the window.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but there was my crush, sitting at a table with plate and utensils neatly placed in two settings.  The dreamy, stupid smile I saw on that once adored face deflated all my infatuation and I turned and walked all the way home, stopping for a sundae on the way.  With double syrup.  Super-rich fudge.  Because why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment