Saturday, May 18, 2013

the under dog wanders in

So I just found out about the Craft Beer Week in time for it to be over.  But, Madrid is having its own celebration of craft beers starting on Monday, so I'm going to pretend they overlap.

First, I visited a store I only just heard about to stock up for the festival I only just heard about.  It's in the "zone", with several good bars and another store just a few minutes away.  On their shelves, I saw a can of lager, something I haven't seen for quite some time.  The brand was familiar, though.

It has a pleasant, grassy smell and a lemony yellow color.  The head is abundant and fluffy white, but not too long-lasting, leaving just a thin caps of suds.  Under Dog isn't as sweet as other lagers I've tried recently, maybe victim of hop-happy craft beeriness.  The taste is sharp, bitter, not unenjoyable.  For me, it's perfectly fine to drink on its own, but maybe those sensitive to hops would want something like peanuts or a little egg/pasta salad to balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment