Sunday, May 26, 2013

czar among beers?

Now begins the week of Spanish beers to go with Madrid's festivities.

When I saw the bottle of Pumpkin Tzar, I knew it had to come with me.  It's just bizarre enough an experiment to be sharply enticing.

The guy at the store even warned me about the chili when I took it to the counter, which I found amusing, although I guess it's not the most striking thing on the label.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect, so I kept the bottle around for awhile, to enjoy imagining the spiciness of it.  Just popping the cap releases an appley odor.  The taste is not sweet, it's more earthy, stouty, with just a touch of chili at the end.  I was hoping for a little more kick, honestly, but that might make it less of a widely enjoyable beverage and more of a specialized challenge.  It is a Spanish-made beer, albeit from the north, and Spanish cuisine tends not to be spicy, although it can be quite flavorful.  Interestingly, the beer becomes a little salty after sitting for some minutes.  So, I imagined more chili, and yet also more sweetness, being used to pumpkin in pies.  The beer was not what I expected, but still well worth the taste test, and if I come across it in a bar somewhere I would happily order it.  Although, I might ask for some outrageously spicy patatas bravas to go with it.
So, this is now a black Russian, yes?


Dude, did you come from Chernobyl or the Battle of Mukden?

No comments:

Post a Comment