Tuesday, May 28, 2013

looking back

Last year there was a local food and craft beer fair about this time, and one of the breweries in attendance was La Virgen.  They've made appearances here before.  At the fair I had Jamonera, which I quite enjoyed as I recall.  I picked up a bottle to do an "official" review, and also wandered into a tasting in a local restaurant/bar hosted by the brewery.  They only had the lager and Jamonera on tap, but several other beers were available in bottles, including a new brew called Veraniega.  I was assured it was only the first run, in case it wasn't to my taste, but I thought it was great.  A refreshing, summery taste, kind of grassy, like a breeze over a field.  If they modify the recipe, I hope it doesn't end up too different.  But on to the star of the show.

I remember the Jamonera being a definite red color, although after a year one shouldn't rely too much on those memories.  I had it draft in the afternoon, thinking I might compare with my bottle.  Interestingly, the bottled version somewhat lighter in color than the tapped, but they both have a relaxed, mellow smell, and a laid-back only mildly bitter taste.  The draft version was a little harsher at first, but a small snack calmed down the taste; the bottle beer is mild from the beginning, but it has some underlying strength of character that assures you it isn't a beer to overlook.  Although it doesn't go down as easily as the lager and doesn't have the complexity of the Veraniega, it's a fine representative of  its makers.  A bit of Spanish ham makes a nice companion in taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment