Wednesday, July 4, 2018

of beer and nations

On this 4th of July, which is also Wednesday, which is Mug Club Night, I wondered if there would be something going on at Roll.  There sort of is; the American Club is having a bit of a get-together.  I can sit quietly in the corner, though.  I think.  I don’t have my passport if anybody asks (gasp).
Anyway, tonight it’s Founders Dirty Bastard.  I haven’t had it for a while, and I thought I should have something from the homeland for such an illustrious day.  It’s a bit different than I remember.  I remember it being sweeter, almost to the point of cloying, but it’s not that bad this time.  It is sweet, with a good bit of licorice undertaste, but there’s also a rough bitterness that I don’t think was there before.  It’s kind of an oaky flavor, making the beer seem more like its barrel-aged brethren.  The alcohol weight of Backwoods Bastard isn’t there, however.  I’m glad the temperatures have gone down in the past couple of days, because it is still a pretty sticky beer.  Would’ve been uncomfortable on a 90º evening, I think.

As much as I have eschewed my national connections, I kind of enjoy the idea of 4th of July now.  Especially because its a shining example of national identity compared to where I am now.  There’s a lot of confusion about ethnic and political nationhood, at least in terms of who gets to be what and what everyone should aspire to be.  Despite the current exclusionary rhetoric, I think our ideal is still a nation of culture and values rather than a nation of birthplace.  Those who want to belong can choose to belong, and a majority is willing to accept them if they play the game.  I hope I’m still speaking with an understanding of the national mind, and not with the cloud of nostalgia that comes with being an expat, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment