Saturday, July 14, 2018

great expectations

I just have to have my stout every once in a while, I simply cannot help myself.  No, that's not quite true.  It's definitely more often than once in a while.  While picking up light and fruity beers, I also had the good fortune to see Sori Brewing's Hot Chocolate, an imperial stout in their Dark Humor Club line.  It was the last one on the shelf, too.  That's for me!  I notice that "humor" is spelled without the superfluous "u".  Ha!
It pours smoothly and oh-so-nicely, producing a thick beige head over a solid, nearly black beer.  It's not terribly strong odored, but there is a good kick of cocoa.  It's sweet but veering a little towards licorice.  The taste starts out much like the aroma, but then goes a little sour in the middle, finishing with a mellower chocolate touch.  Letting it sit and warm a little bit gives it a creamier texture and doesn't seem to increase the sweetness.  It does develop a bit of an appley aftertaste, which is unexpected.  I feel like some nice chocolate ice cream would be great with this, something to complement the cocoa, but a little more sugary.  Actually, ice cream in general would be great right now.  Damn you, summer!

Supplier: La Tienda De La Cerveza
Price: €4.20

No comments:

Post a Comment