Saturday, July 28, 2018

the name says it all

So many of the beer stores also offer beer on tap now, as you might have noticed.  A lot just have a couple of taps, others have more than some regular bars.  Be Hoppy (c/Almaden 18) only has two taps, but man, the selection!  The shelves are covered in things I want to drink right now!  They are on the pricey side, being so excellently special, but there are plenty of things on par with the rest of the shops and bars in town.  I had me a pint there today, Magic Rock Micromachine session IPA.  It's hot, OK?  The other choice was a fruity sour, and I thought the session would be a bit lighter.  It is lighter in alcohol, coming in at only 2.8%. 
It starts with a nice citrusy aroma, coming up from a dark yellowy orange liquid.  The head fizzes off pretty fast, though.  It's lightly bitter, only very slight citrus taste, so a mild flavor overall.  It's very easy drinking, good for a thirsty afternoon without a lot of extra sweetness or sharp hops.  The beer has a very smooth feel to it, soft and rounded in the mouth, slips right down the gullet.  However, don't get too comfortable with it; a big drink will bring out the sour, and letting it stand and warm up for too long will make it thicken up and be a little more feisty being swallowed.
A little atmosphere
That, uh...isn't the atmosphere I was thinking of
The store is a nice little place with attentive keepers.  Today it was just the gentleman, who brought me the tap menu when I came in!  Such service!  It's like he knew what I was thinking.  It's also cute that they have a menu, rather than the blackboard, although the board is there but blank right now.  I think I even slipped in just before they closed on a Sunday once, so hours are quite accessible.  Good beers and easy to get 'em, that's all anybody wants, right?
And a shady street too

No comments:

Post a Comment