Saturday, June 30, 2018

afternoon out

Last day and last Saturday!  Time for a field trip!  I haven't been down to La Tienda de la Cerveza in a while, so this seems like a good excuse.  Besides the wide selection of bottles, there are also six taps and a number of tables in the back.  I was a little early, those damn summer hours (they open at 6pm on Saturdays in the summer), so a little walk around the block to work up some thirst was necessary.  They had juuust opened the door when I came back, so I walked right in and was allowed to look around.  They have pretty summery beers on tap, naturally.  Although I don't know about that rauchbier.  Maybe if we could get a pizza or something.
So, first I had a little of the wheat with guayaba, thinking it would be a little sweet and tangy, but I found it too close to champagne for my liking.  Very dry.  I went with Prairie Era in the end.  It's a hoppy farmhouse ale, just a bit darker in color than the wheat, and a more noticeable aroma.  Just a bit sharper, but no IPA citrus.  Rather than bitter, the taste is closer to sour.  The hops start to come up and bite you after a couple of sips, with a sort of gingery punch to the tongue.  It's not the cleanest drinking, a little sour aftertaste accumulates at the back of the mouth, although not enough to be disturbing.  Not bad at all for the time of year, although we're lucky to be having reasonable evenings at the moment.

La Tienda de la Cerveza: c/Ruda 12

No comments:

Post a Comment