Saturday, July 17, 2021

room for one more

A quick break from chats, but not a time for sittin' around!  There is other research to be done.  It would be nice if I were in a cushy, air conditioned library to do it, but I also enjoy my music and my drinks, so I guess I don't quite want to make that trade.  I checked out La Buena Cerveza's new digs; not bad at all.  It's more focused on the bar part, much like Cervezarama tried in its last incarnation, and like La Tienda de la Cerveza and The Beer Garden have been doing for a while.  Still have a wall of take-away beers behind the bar, though.  And one of those beers, right in the middle of those unsummery black ones, La Quince (and Guineu) Vanilla Red Velvet.  They've done a number of variations on that Vanilla Black Velvet that I was so taken with years ago - chocolate and hazelnut if not more - and all quite nice, so I have no misgivings about a new member of the family.

It pours out very smoothly, only gradually building up a respectable dark beige head.  I thought it might be a little lighter than other versions with the "red" part, but it looks as black as any of the others.  The aroma is not overly strong, a slight stouty smoke and earthiness, but not very much.  There might be just a whisper of plum.  The flavor is much sweeter than I expected, and a very light sweetness.  I'm reminded of cherry colas, actually.  While I do love me a Cherry Coke, I'm not sure I would say that's what I want from a beer, much less a stout.  A couple of sips reveal a touch of bitter, but no more than that.  It doesn't take long to build up some body either, just a couple of minutes in a warm room.  It's still awfully light for a stout, a Russian Imperial Stout at that, in my opinion, but I'm sure there are many who would shy away from it, especially in summer.  Their loss, says I!

Supplier: La Buena Cerveza

Price: €6.10

No comments:

Post a Comment