Thursday, February 27, 2020

A tale wakening more

“I think you know I cannot let this offer pass,” I said solemnly.  He winked and bowed, as if he were a playful dog.  I felt more and more comfortable in my choice.  If he could not help me, if he was the clumsy clown he appeared, there could be no harm done.  I could refuse any demand of payment because he would not fulfill my request.  If, on the other hand, he could help me...then whatever he asked might be worth paying.

“You should be more careful with your dress when you go about your business.  You are no pig keeper; you can keep your clothes in better order than you do.  I have heard the one you dream about praise such care.”

“And criticise my carelessness?”

“Well, no,” he seemed to muse, trying to remember what he had seen and heard.  He lay down at the fire, crossed his paws like a great hunting dog and stared off into nothing.  “As I said, many have spoken your name, but not all.  I fear you are not in this mind.  It is, in some ways, a good thing, for you do not have to cleanse the thoughts of you, only give pleasant ones.  That is surely an easier task for all concerned.”

“Well I will keep this advice in mind tomorrow.  I have things to do in the main square, and surely I will be seen.  Do you care to have your tea now?”

And Vulk laughed and laughed, throwing his head back and lolling his tongue.  I thought it had been only polite to ask.  I was offended that he laughed so hard.

“Young one, I told you clearly that tea was not what I would ask of you.  You must learn to listen more carefully.  That is also advice to forge your link with your beloved.”  He winked and I felt shame at my mistake.

“But wait,” I said with suspicion,”How do you know I was not offering out of mere habit and good manners?”

He smirked, clear in spite of his bristling fur, and answered with scorn, “Your face tells more than you might think, my dear.  That is another thing to be careful of in the future.  I do not want your tea, nor will I.  I will take my leave now, in fact.  Yes, I will require something of you in due time, but I will ask with clarity.  You will know without any doubt at all when I make a request.”

I did not want to be left without a clear answer about my beloved, but I was not sorry to see him go.  Even when he helps Vulk is an uncomfortable presence.

The next morning I rose and set about to do my tasks in the square.  I was careful with my dress and with my hair setting.  I did my best to appear a thoughtful and cleanly minded person.  I made my purchases and I said my hellos and goodbyes, and I kept both eyes open, but no dreamt of face appeared to me.  I went home with leaden heart, in much less pain than I thought I would be.  I was young and believed I felt things true.

There was no visit that night, nor any other for many months.  I began to think that I had dreamed it all.  My care must have fallen though I was not of a mind to notice it, nor my friends of a mind to tell me.  Perhaps they did not notice either.  They all had their own dreams and wondrous plans in mind.  But then one dark evening, when I was brooding, ignored and unseen to beloved eyes, the shadow returned.

“Oh dear, you have returned to your former state, even worse perhaps.”

I jumped, as the voice was behind me, and I was settled against the wall.  On my feet I turned, tipped the stool, and saw the blank stone that sheltered me every night.  To the fire I looked, anxious and disgruntled, and yes he was there like a sleepy house cat.  He was more like a cat than a dog this time, no, like the jungle cats the travelers tell us of.  Lean, sleek, oozing more menace than a snake under wooden steps.  And of course he was smiling.  But I was young and I thought I was strong.

“I took great care for many days, but saw no reward.  It was a waste of time.  There must be something else I should do that will bring my beloved’s attention to me.”

“I see you are a dense one.  Do you really think that one or two days of fine dress are enough?  Everyone wants to be coupled with a constant and careful pair, not one who looks only for rewards and prizes.  The care is the reward in itself.”

“But it is not.  It is work for no reason.  I would stay in my natural state, but for a washing, if it were up to me.”

“Ah, you are young and you think you are honest.”

Grinning teeth cut my soul to pieces, for although I did believe I was right about myself, I knew he was as well.  I fell silent and to planning my dress for the next days.  He moved not a jot.  Maybe we spent hours there without a sound or a stirring.  Finally I raised my eyes to his and asked, “Is there truly nothing else for me to do?  Wander around like a painted doll is your only advice?”

“Oh no, young one, my darling,” he rose to his pointed feet, “ There is much more that can be done, but all things in their proper moment.  You are not yet steady in your first steps and you want to jump over mountains.”

I think I made my face grim.  “Can I offer you anything?” I said.

“So polite,” he replied and left without another word.

No comments:

Post a Comment