Saturday, February 29, 2020

3...

Sad news!  Espuma is closing up shop.  It wasn't one of the stores that I frequented most, being kind of down and out of the way for me, but it was a nice sized place with good selection.  And you always feel a little sad to see an option disappear.  I was in the area for job things and managed to get in during their last weeks, when everything was on sale.  If there's anything better than good beer it's good beer cheap.  Well, less expensive.  I was afraid they would be down to the dregs, but there was still quite a bit of good pickings.  I gravitate to the stouts and see something ... different.
*twinkle shine*
It's Nómada's Raspberry Imperial Stout, which looks familiar, but with something extra on top.  I remember the store had some beers aging off somewhere and had brought them out just recently, so maybe one of those?  At 10% it's pretty high alcohol so it shouldn't go bad to quickly.
I hope
After much cajoling the cap comes off to a wine-like aroma.  The head's a little bubblier and less fluffy than I'm used to.  It's not quite black, although I would chalk that up to the raspberry at first guess.  There's a lot of earth in the flavor, and some chocolate.  And coffee, but that almost goes without saying.  I was expecting something much more sour, but it's a rounded bitter with just a touch of sweetness.  Those raspberries are not the shining stars of this stout.  A tanginess does develop over time, although the beer stays well within regular stout territory in feel.


Supplier: Espuma
Price: €2.89

No comments:

Post a Comment