Saturday, January 11, 2020

munchies

It's the post-holiday doldrums alright.  I walked into a beer store to be greeted with practically empty shelves.  The owner said, a little sheepishly, that the supplier hadn't been able to deliver before the last big day off, so things were down to the bare bones.  Fortunately, a beer store has good beer, in practically every case.  I'm not exactly the biggest fan of black IPAs, although some can be just wonderful, but that never stops me from trying things out.  Mascarat Black Rye IPA seems to promise that it will make people reveal their secrets to you.  I am not sure who is supposed to drink the beer for that to happen.  Maybe you have to share?
There's a sharp smell of IPA, although not one of the very citrusy ones.  Even the aroma has a base of bitter.  It's a little foamier than normal, and an extra cloudy brown.  Settles down pretty nice in the glass, though.  There's a creamy feel to it, along with the sourness of the rye, which makes it feel like a very traditional sort of beer - and I mean the traditions of millennia ago, with beer juice being made from the grain that didn't go in the bread.  I would go so far as to say it is what I would have expected more from the kvass in Bhatamari, that very fermented bready sour flavor.  But, the kvass was quite light and Mascarat has a full body to throw around.  I guess you can't be shy to get those secrets.

Supplier: Cerevisia
Price: €4.20

No comments:

Post a Comment