Saturday, January 18, 2020

i've had weirder

I've said it many times, dark beers and dark nights go together like nothing else.  Of course, I also say dark beers go with bright afternoons.  And twinkling early mornings.  My tastes are no secret, or surprise by now.  I'm pretty sure I have actually had Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter before, but not at home.  Maybe not even from a bottle, since the label isn't that familiar.  It's a good bet for me, though, that it will quench my thirst and make my evening worthwhile.  Porters don't often disappoint, and Flying Dog has a good reputation.  I guess it says something about the local mistrust of black beers that it was one of the few left!
There's a slightly piercing aroma when opening the bottle, but nothing unusual among porters.  It pours very dark and smooth looking, with one of the darker shades of beige in the head.  The scent gains in sweetness in the glass.  While the head kind of folds in on itself, it maintains a certain solidness.  I am reminded of the kind of foam you get with floats, when everything is starting to blend together.  No beer floats around here recently though (sigh).  The flavor is sharp, kicking around a number of elements at once.  First is a good mouthful of coffee, which rounds itself out into licorice.  I could have stayed with coffee myself.  There's more fruitiness in the aftertaste, something plummy.  It's scratchier than I expected from the aroma, but it's a strong porter, good for cold winter evenings. 
Shoulda tried a raspberry peppermint sour maybe

Supplier: Cerevisia
Price: €3.70

No comments:

Post a Comment