Saturday, June 24, 2017

the mystery!

I had a beer in my refrigerator for a few days, and damn if I don't remember where I got it.  I know I bought it, it didn't appear magically, I just can't remember what store I found it in.  It's La Quince Young Gifted & Black IPA, not a brand that you only find in one or two stores.  Wherever I got it, it'll be good, being a trusted brand.  Black IPAs are a little weird for me, being that they look like stouts but are IPAs in every other way, confounding my tastebuds when I drink them.
It definitely smells like an IPA on opening, but there's that weird contrast of looking like a stout and smelling like an ale that gets me.  I'm not sure what to expect (I think I should expect an IPA, though).  It is citrusy and sharp at first, although not overwhelmingly so, much like most craft IPAs.  Then, suddenly, the aftertaste lights up a little smoke.  It's not just ale bitter, it's a wink at strong, bitter stouts.  I try again, to see if it comes back, or if it's the power of my mind, and it's not quite as noticeable.  I think I've convinced myself that there should be a little bit of stout just because of the appearance, that's a beer that could fool somebody completely.  I can see a blindfolded taste-test driving some poor soul crazy.  If I ever remember where this bottle came from, I'll be sure to raise my glass to them for their stock.
New glass, that didn't get any black beers for its debut
EDIT (5 minutes later!) Supplier: Cervecissimus (definitely deserves the toast)
Price: €3.40 (...it's craft, what can I say?)

No comments:

Post a Comment