Tuesday, June 6, 2017

mmm, cake

Oh boy, oh boy, I got the last bottle on the shelf of the so-called Mugcake Stout!  Now, I wonder if it's supposed to be "mudcake", or if they're making a pun of that and "mug".  Either way, the shop guy praised my selection and said it was a fantastic, full flavored, sipping beer.  Lots of chocolate, he said.  Good enough for me!  I am not familiar with Drunken Bros, but I'm willing to give Ripley a shot.
In honor of a new movie out, maybe?

Yep
It comes out beautifully, rich and dark in color.  The scent isn't very heavy, but stouty beyond a doubt.  I get licorice before chocolate at the first sip, but only a whisper of it.  Then there's a smoky dark chocolate flavor, wrapped in bitter.  There's another snap of sweet licorice at the end, but again just a teasing hint.  Not being a fan of licorice, this is about all I would want.  It does add a nice twist to the overall flavor, lightening it when one might expect a heavier, cake-y mouthful.  It's not as substantial as some stouts are, but has a presence, and feels like a beer that wants to go with something.  Brownies or actual cake would be nice.  The just-sweet-enoughness of the beer could make it a good companion for a meaty main course, too.

Supplier: La Buena Cerveza
Price: €4.48

No comments:

Post a Comment