Saturday, June 3, 2017

sweet treats


I'm actually not sure which beer I ended up with for my first beer float.  The bartender said it was barleywine, but I've only heard them say Dirty Bastard since then.  Maybe he made a mistake, or maybe they decided to stick to the Scotch ale later.  The vanilla ice cream came out of the freezer solid as a rock, so it took a few minutes for things to take shape.  I get a pastry straw along with the spoon, just like in a soda fountain.  It's an interesting bittersweet, sugary but with a strong bitter orange flavor.  Maybe that's the pastry talking.  The beer itself is very cloudy at first and the foam is quite bitter.  The ice cream tastes more like vanilla walnut than plain vanilla, but I don't see any nuts in there. 
It stays foamy for quite some time, so it's hard to get a sip of actual beer at first.  When I do, there's a hint of bourbon or rum in the background, but mostly just bittersweetness.  Once the foam incorporates into the beer it gets very light and creamy, even easier to drink.  Possibly a dangerous thing, considering how strong both barleywine and Dirty Bastard are.  It's a noticeably more bitter drink than I expected, but maybe more refreshing for that reason.  Could be a year 'round float.

No comments:

Post a Comment