Saturday, May 20, 2017

threefer!

Somebody must've spent hours on this
Our old pal Founders is introducing some new brews and had a little presentation at Roll this week.  The promotion emphasized that the fruit beer would be tapped for the first time ever in Spain, which certainly made it sound exclusive (for a while).  The beers were all barrel aged, fairly high in alcohol content, and spoken of in the most glowing of terms by the representatives.  Although it was a business presentation, everyone was pretty relaxed and friendly.  I was recommended Backwoods Bastard first, a take on their Dirty Bastard scotch ale.
Like Dirty Bastard, it comes off as a sweeter beer than I normally like, although it has its attraction in colder months.  The smell is definitely sweet and I don't detect much else behind it, but the taste is pretty balanced, not syrupy.  The noticeable flavor is definitely vanilla, although the aftertaste has more of a mellow and woody note.  I find it heavier than I remember Dirty Bastard, a little too heavy now that the weather is warmer, at least for my taste.  As winter holidays come around, though, the Backwoods Bastard is a good choice to warm your stomach, if not your heart.
I tried Kentucky Breakfast Stout, or KBS, next.  The previous Breakfast Stout had been disappointing, lacking in flavor for me.  I'm so spoiled with these intense beers.  KBS was much better right off the bat, with a rich chocolatey-ness and smooth texture that marks the perfect stout for me.  The barrel was harder to detect, and I never felt like the bourbon overwhelmed the stout with sugariness, something that some barrel-aged beers suffer from.  I was terribly pleased with KBS, and had several samples over the course of the night.  Highly recommended for stout lovers!
Glass two came with a mini-cupcake
Finally, the fruit beer, Frootwood.  It's a cherry ale, again aged in bourbon barrels, but those barrels also held maple syrup at some point apparently.  The beer is a frisky pale red color and has an aroma that reminds me of both champagne and cheese.  I saved this one for last, thinking it would perk me up after the powerful Bastard and KBS, and it is indeed refreshing.  It's also a strong one, at 8%.  The flavor is light and unpressuring, though, and would be lovely on a hot summer night, as well as a sunny winter afternoon.  The fruit is the most noticeable part of the flavor, but the texture of Frootwood is also interesting.  Somehow it feels more solid than the other two, almost like a melting Jello shot.  It's still easy drinking and quite pleasing.
More snacks!
There's nothing like a gathering of beer lovers to perk up your week!
Especially beer lovers with dapper clothes and snazzy beards

No comments:

Post a Comment