Saturday, May 27, 2017

gearing up

Beer Week and German Films are on the horizon, coinciding once again.  I'm not complaining too much, but I feel a little conflict about what beer to drink during those days.  Beer Week is actually longer than a week, so I guess film days will just be German beer.  We'll see what I can find.  At La Birratorium this week I found a local brew, and stout at that.  Mad Brewing Dark Matter ought to be a good prelude, especially since the special collection this year at the festival is sci-fi.
It's bubbly but not very heady, and one of those stouts with a penetrating aroma.  Definitely on the sweet side.  The taste, on the other hand, is bitter at first and quite bitter later.  I was fooled a little by the smell, thinking this stout would be one of those smooth and maybe chocolatey ones, but it's more like a regular stout with more smoke than chocolate.  I get the slight woodiness that barrel aged beers have as well, and it does smell a lot like bourbon barrel aged stouts.  The texture is very smooth, but also substantial, a lot like Founders Frootwood.  It doesn't leave a lot of residue, however, sliding right down the throat.  Despite the scent, the beer is not sticky or syrupy.  It's kind of a mysterious combination of characteristics, probably like its namesake.
'Sa matta you?

Supplier: La Birratorium
Price: €3.40

No comments:

Post a Comment