Saturday, April 15, 2017

looks like something coming up

I had the vague hope that I would come across a Cadbury Cream Egg beer, but maybe that was some kind of beautiful dream.  Cream ales are around, but we know there's no actual cream in there.  At least I can find a label that has something that looks resurrectionary, like a flying skull.  I don't indulge in Tempest Brewing that often, but it has given me some good drinks in the past.  Their Ancho Dark Lager looks promising, if nothing else as a mild and relaxing beer for a holiday weekend.  The ancho does refer to the chilis, so maybe it's a little spicier than I'm bargaining for.
Boo!  (6 months early)
The beer is a rich dark brown color, lightly headed, and with a smell that's an unusual blend of earthy and sweet.  I get the lager sweet in the Central European style, and a little smoke that I might be anticipating from the chili.  The flavor is mildly bitter in the first second, but quickly a lagery sweetness overwhelms it, with no hint of spiciness until the aftertaste.  It's also a very mild afterspice, with just a little, pleasant tickle.  Other chili beers have been a little more aggressive, but this Ancho is content to be laid back and rely on a quiet appearance that won't go unnoticed even though it doesn't shout.  I find it to be a bit on the sophisticated side, when it comes to chili beers.  Really quite nice, a likely pairing with salty tortilla chips.  Maybe some guac for good measure.
Guacamole would go with the label, too

Supplier: Más Que Cervezas
Price: €3.45

No comments:

Post a Comment