Saturday, April 8, 2017

days of chocolate ahead

It's getting close to a day rich in chocolate, which means I feel the need to focus on my dark beers.  It seems like I've seen Cadbury Cream Egg beer somewhere, but maybe it was just a beautiful dream.  In any case, I can find porters and stouts with little difficulty, like Thornbridge Cocoa Wonderland Chocolate Porter.  I'm expecting something a little heavy, which will be a nice relaxing moment for the evening (I had a porter-related disappointment yesterday), even though we're feeling the warmth of spring at the moment.  Even after the sun goes down there's no chill in the air these days.  The time of melting chocolate is at hand.
A little light on the head, which is fizzy rather than foamy.  It has an earthy and slightly sour smell, with an undertone of chocolate.  The taste is much sweeter, with that tangy fruitiness some porters have, like a chocolate covered berry.  It seems to get lighter as you go, a surprising thing as most sweet beers get a little syrupy as they warm up.  Wonderland does that illogical thing, or opposite thing, getting lighter and more delicate instead of heavier and thicker.  I miss the original complexity a little, the end is smooth but kind of generic porter flavored, but it's an easy drink and very pleasant.

Supplier: La Tienda de la Cerveza
Price: €3.35

No comments:

Post a Comment