Tuesday, August 16, 2022

summer harvesting

Squeezing in another purchase before a short vacation, I grab a couple of things from Birra Y Paz (they're going on vacation, not me.)  I feel like I ought to be getting some things that I don't normally subject myself to, and actually the bars are full of various types of ale more than anything else.  A lager here and there, but there's a downright shortage of sours this year, plus the typical lower offer of stouts for the summer.  As interesting as lambics are as a style, I just can't get into them as much as a taste experience.  I do, however, deeply enjoy a black currant drink.  It's one of Lindemans lesser-seen lambics, at least in Madrid, but I think Cassis is worth a shot.

Slightly winey smell, fruity, but old fruit.  Like a lot of lambics, it has a deeply tinted appearance with the essence of its most promoted ingredient.  It looks a lot like black currant nectar, in fact, but with a rosy head on top.  It has that fruity lambic stickiness, and a good amount of sweetness with no bitter at all, very much like Mort Subité, for example.  It's maybe even heavier than currant nectar, with more body and staying power in the mouth.  It builds in sourness, but maintains a refreshing cleanness to the flavor that allows it to take a place among summer beers.
Supplier: Birra Y Paz

Price: €3.15

No comments:

Post a Comment