Thursday, August 11, 2022

old fashioned diet watcher

It's still regular summer temperatures, but somehow it's worse than what it was before.  Maybe because we can't marvel at the numbers, so we just sit and suffer as usual.  As much as I like my stouts (and there will be some more) it is a good set of conditions for lighter beers, especially ales, and pale ales at that.  Just before Cervecissimus closed up shop for their summer vacation I picked up a new one for me, (full flavored) Pale Ale from 28 Brewery.  Their little blurb on the back gives some history to the brand, saying it was already in existence in 1842, and their website says they were established "100 years ago".  Later they say 1912 is the year they expanded from the basis of their most successful (I guess) beer, Perle 28.  Interestingly, it's touted as a low-carb beer, which is not something craft beers have paid much attention to.  There must be a time for everything.

For such a light colored beer it has a powerful aroma.  It's plenty ale-y too, with good notes of citrus and fruit, not a lot of more traditional elements.  The head doesn't disappear completely, but it does die back pretty quick.  The flavor is on the oddly sour side, with just a bit of bitter chasing it down.  It's generally clean, but there's a touch of astringency too, trying to clean up after.  There isn't much grain or bread, and the bitterness has more of a healthy fruit sensation to it than regular old beer bitter.  I'm not sure if I notice any particular lightness to it, but maybe if I focused on this line of beers I would find myself with less of a beer belly, you know, magically.
Supplier: Cervecissimus

Price: €3

No comments:

Post a Comment