Saturday, May 4, 2019

may the fourth...

Although I didn't find anything worthy of Star Wars Day, or Cinco de Mayo to be honest, something about this bottle made it appropriate for May Day.  I think it was the phrase at the bottom:
"Coworkers, let's join forces and create craft."  Kinda reminds me of this.  Also, Yankee Punch is just daring you to not think of riotous strikes.  Now, this is not an American beer, but Dutch, and Jopen seems to take pride in a rather unique bottle style.  I will feel a little bad when I recycle it. 
This is not just a New England IPA, but a double NEIPA, so I'm guessing it might be heavy on the juice.
Immediate scent sensation, a heavy and sweet kind of citrus.  On the perfumey side, actually.  Color is very light for the aroma, kind of a straw gold.  Head looks pretty good, fluffy and resistant.  The taste is heavily citrus, leaning strongly on the sour rather than the bitter.  It's one of those mandarin orange flavors, fooling you into thinking it will turn sweet, but it just stays tangy and sour, in a pleasant way I hasten to add.  A touch of bitterness does start to develop in the aftertaste, but that stays pretty light.  Honestly, I don't find it particularly tropical, as the label hints, but it's definitely fruity and in line with other NEIPAs, although maybe a little headier and on the clear side in color.  The doubling adds a bit of weight to it; a lot of NEIPAs are kind of heavy in spite of the juice, but this one is a formidable drink.

Supplier: Cerevisia
Price: €5

No comments:

Post a Comment