Saturday, May 18, 2019

mosaic ahoy

I had a good look at the stouts this week, but I thought it might be better to settle for something lighter this time.  More on that next Saturday!  I am also trying to suss out some good German brews in preparation for the film fest, coming soon.  Then, what do I see but The Captain?  I had a variation of this beer some months ago, quite nice as I recall, but this one is Dry Külsched Hop, dry-hopped with Mosaic.  Sounds like a winning combination to me.  Mosaic has been tasty in IPAs and Basqueland has had some triumphs with their products.
It may be a kölsch, but a definite IPA whisper slips out from those hops.  Clear and medium gold, it could pass for a pale ale easily.  First comes a citrus bitter, but quickly the flavor ramps up the sour and tang, hitting some kölschier notes before falling back into a sweet aftertaste.  It struggles a little to maintain the initial wow, dying back into a more subdued blend of upfront bitter and trailing sour after a few sips.  Very light in the mouth, almost airy, and a little fizzy.  Still smooth down the throat, though.  Snappy, summery kind of beer, something to keep in mind for higher temperatures down the road.

Supplier: La Birratorium
Price: €3.25

No comments:

Post a Comment