Saturday, May 19, 2018

where are those matchmakers now?

I had to be contented with a merely acceptable stout yesterday.  What kind of asshole would complain about that?  I'm so spoiled in terms of black beers.  I've been pretty sniffly lately anyway, with a little spring cold, so I wouldn't appreciate the finer points of a more elegant brew.  Possibly.  I don't know.  I have faith in my beer sense.  So, I have something else from La Buena Cerveza that's a little sharper and more penetrating, almost as if I knew I was going to need it.   That's not true.  I like IPAs too, and it's good to change things up every once in a while.  It's A Match comes from a collaboration of Naparbier, who I know, and Caleya, who I don't.  I feel confident putting my trust in Naparbier, they've done some very nice things in the past.  Caleya's just along for the ride.
Considering what we imagine large birds to do with faces...
...this could be legitimately terrifying
There is a strong hoppy ale aroma, cutting right through any leftover cold funk.  It's also a happy golden orange, leading one to think optimistically about the drink.  The first sip is heavily bitter, although it gradually subsides into a more citrusy flavor.  There's still plenty of bitter in the aftertaste.  It takes a while for some sweetness to develop, making the beer more grapefruity than orangey for the first few sips.  Even with the lingering congestion, the taste comes through strongly, and leaves no citrus note unplayed.  I'm finding this IPA a bit on the sticky side, not as clean as regular IPAs.  I know it's double, but syrupy beer can be distracting.  Overall, though, it's a very nice ale, probably more the speed of transitional seasons when you get cold and hot on the same day.  Or even the same hour.  It might be too heavy for a summer beer for some tastes, and too bright for winter for others.  I am not disappointed by this match-up on a cloudy spring evening.

Supplier: La Buena Cerveza
Price: €4.10

No comments:

Post a Comment