Saturday, May 5, 2018

not so vanilla

Vanilla Black Velvet stout is one of my all-damn-time favorites.  I got my first taste at one of the beer fairs, and tested out a bottle a bit later.  It's always a good choice on tap.  This seems to be its companion beer, Chocolate Black Velvet Russian Imperial Stout.  The same collaborators and the same style on the label, just darker.  Chocolate stouts are most certainly a thing I like, and if this one is as good as the vanilla version, I think I'll be having a good night.
Bathed in light, my angelic bottle of darkness
There's a light cocoa scent when the cap comes off, with just a hint of earthiness underlying it.  I don't get any smokiness.  I expect a fairly sweet stout out of this.  The flavor starts out pretty smokey actually, but then dissolves into a creamy dark chocolate.  No bitterness comes up at all until the aftertaste, and then it's well-controlled and in balance with the other flavors.  It's a pretty sticky beer from the beginning, not exactly syrupy, but it has definite substance.  The heaviness makes this a good beer for contemplating life's puzzles, perhaps working out some thoughts on existence or the beyond.  No snack necessary, but maybe something a little chocolatey itself would go nicely.  Ooh, or minty, mint ice cream!  I guess I have time to go to the store...

Supplier: Ruta 33cl
Price: €3.95

No comments:

Post a Comment