Saturday, May 12, 2018

not at all

I was a bit disappointed last night with a lack of available dark beers on an evening out, so I was bound and determined not to be disappointed today!  Whatever you want, the beer stores are there for you.  This time it's La Buena Cerveza on c/ Pelayo.  Very welcoming hours (no siesta) and pleasant staff.  There's a quantity of gluten free beers too, more than I recall seeing in other places.  They might not have them set aside the same way, though.  I made my way around the shelves while other customers were being helped - some people were looking for standard Belgian imports and were directed to the nearest supermarket, and others were looking for some special treats, to impress guests I believe.  The last two got a whole line-up of bottles to look at.  I got Hard Decision, an oatmeal stout from La Pirata.
In contrast, American elephants do everything to keep oil wells standing
It's immediately aromatic, sweet and somewhat chocolatey.  It's also a good opaque beer, letting practically nothing through its witch's brew-like substance.  This is probably what Guinness wishes it was.  The taste is sweet at first, as expected, but soon warps into a baking chocolate bitter and then flattens out into a smokey and earthy bitterness, with that little hint of licorice that I often get with these thick, sweet stouts.  There is a lasting aftertaste, sort of like mildly burnt toast.  Overall, it's extremely smooth and calming, a real comfort beer.  What kind of decision maker do you need to be for this?

Supplier: La Buena Cerveza
Price: €3.90

By the way, I'm tickled that this bottle was apparently prepared for import by Sweden:
and then sold in Madrid.  It's not the first time I've seen a domestic craft beer with "imported by" on the label, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment